Ambulance Care Assistant
This can often be a good introduction to an excellent career working in the ambulance service.
The role of the ambulance care assistant involves conveying a wide range of patients to and from their homes to out-patients' appointments, clinics, physiotherapy or non-urgent inter-hospital transfers. Crews are trained as ambulance care assistants with specialist knowledge of comprehensive first aid, driving skills and patient moving and handling techniques.
In order to apply you will need to:
- Have a caring disposition and will be passionate about patient care with good communication and people skills
- Be able to demonstrate a flexible, reliable and committed approach to work variable hours/shifts, including evenings and some weekend working
- Have three GCSEs at Grade C or above or equivalents or previous customer care experience or working in a caring capacity
- Have a full current manual driving license (Cat B car), valid in the
- Have previous customer care experience or working in a caring capacity
- Paid at Band 2- Agenda for Change
- You will be asked to complete a NHS job application form which will be shortlisted on the essential criteria on the person specification attached to the advert
- You will then be asked to complete an online assessment, which if successful be invited for interview
- If successful at interview you will need to complete a driving assessment.
- Initial Training on commencement consists of a 7 week course ( including driving and classroom based), failure to pass the course may result in dismissal
- Those who do not hold the relevant level of maths & English will be supported to achieve level 2 functional skills in maths and English.
- The Ambulance Care Assistant Apprenticeship is 13 month long, during which time you will be fully supported and is assessed against the; Level 3 ambulance support worker standard (emergency, urgent and non-urgent), which includes achieving the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Certificate in Ambulance Patient Care: Non-Urgent Care Service
- Level 3 Award in Patient Care Services:
- Ambulance Driving (L3 APCSAD)
- The Care Certificate
Often our Ambulance Care Assistants will apply for other roles in the trust such as Clinical Care Assistant or Health Advisors as this role has given them a good understanding of our organisation.