Ambulance Care Assistant
The role of the ambulance care assistant involves conveying a wide range of patients to and from their homes to out-patients' appointments, clinics, physiotherapy or non-urgent inter-hospital transfers. Crews are trained as ambulance care assistants with specialist knowledge of comprehensive first aid, driving skills and patient moving and handling techniques. This can often be a good introduction to an excellent career working in the ambulance service.
In order to apply you will need to:
- Have a caring disposition and will be passionate about patient care with good communication and people skills
- Be able to demonstrate a flexible, reliable, and committed approach to work variable hours/shifts, including evenings and some weekend working
- Have three GCSEs at Grade C or above or equivalents or previous customer care experience or working in a caring capacity
- Have a full current manual driving license (Cat B car), valid in the UK
- Have previous customer care experience or working in a caring capacity
The Ambulance Care Assistant Apprenticeship is 13-months long, during which time you will be fully supported and is assessed against the; Level 3 ambulance support worker standard (emergency, urgent and non-urgent), which includes achieving the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Certificate in Ambulance Patient Care: Non-Urgent Care Service
- Level 3 Award in Patient Care Services:
- Ambulance Driving (L3 APCSAD)
- The Care Certificate
- Initial training on commencement consists of a 7-week course (including driving and classroom-based learning); failure to pass the course may result in dismissal
- Those who do not hold the relevant level of maths & English will be supported to achieve level 2 functional skills in maths and English.
Often our clinical care assistants will apply for other roles in the Trust such as internal paramedic apprenticeship as this role has given them a good understanding of our organisation.
Applying for a role? Read our candidate advice here: /careers/advice-for-candidates.aspx